Final question on rear springs

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Final question on rear springs
From: "Steve Shoyer" <Steve@shoyer.com>
Date: Fri, 5 May 2006 10:59:43 -0400
After much delay, the rear springs are finally on the car.  One side looks
fine, but on the other side the ridge on the spring locating plate won't quite
line up to sit flush on the axle.  It's too far forward by about 1/8", but my
usual techniques (pry bar, hammer, swearing) aren't moving it into place.  If I
put the car back on the ground and drive it around the driveway, will that
help, or is it just a bad idea?  It seems like the weight of the car would
cause the axle and plate to move away fom each other, rather than pushing them
together.

Thanks - my 8-year-old daughter wants to help me bleed the brakes, so I'm close
to actually driving soon.

--Steve (1980 MGB)