RE: Stromberg Leak

To: <Mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Stromberg Leak
From: "James Schulte" <schultejim@msn.com>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:33:43 -0400
C owners and mechanics,
Anybody experience an exhaust manifold leak in your C's?  For the first 1.5
years back on the road, my C tourer ran without a leak. About 4 months ago, it
started to sound like a spitting sound only upon acceleration, very slight.
Now it is still doing it upon acceleration but a little more pronounced. I've
tried to tighten the nuts and this did quiet it somewhat. I now see black
residue between the second and third pipe at the top of the manifold.
1. Will this cause any damage other then discoloration of the manifold until I
get the guts up to pull the carbs and manifold? 2. Can a machine shop level a
manifold that is not level? I have a spare but it is not level between one set
of pipes and an adjorning set. It also has rusted studs on it. 3. Is my only
recourse to remove the studs is with heat from an acetylene torch?
4. Can a doubled gasket be used to fill a slight gap in the original manifold,
if I can't get the spare manifold studs out and it leveled?
What do you guys think?
Jim 69C
70B