Re: tips evaluating '69 MGB

To: rdwilt@pol.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: tips evaluating '69 MGB
From: mgbnutt@aol.com
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:59:01 -0400
Roger,
Sounds like a good plan.  See if you can get the price down.  You never know
what a seller is thinking.

When i bought my 78 MGB a few years ago i don't remember if the previous owner
even KNEW the last time it had been running (in the mid 1990s maybe?).  A
visual inspection turned up little that i didn't expect.  With her permission i
brought fresh gas, a new battery and changed the oil in her driveway.  After a
bit of cranking it started up right away (Zenith carb w/auto choke).  However
the clutch slave internals had liquefied...so it was back to Moss and another
week before a test drive.  NOTE: The clutch feel has remained very light (much
less than i expected), but it certainly didn't take much to get it back on the
road.  Oh, i paid $1200 for it and drove it home a week later.

Anyway, just wanted to add to the consensus: Pretty sure I wouldn't pay $3000
for a non-running car either.
Good luck!
donny v
78 MGB