Re: Head re-torque

To: mgamgb <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Head re-torque
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Thu, 25 May 2006 09:14:28 -0500
  The way I learned it, after the engine heated up and cooled down, the
head gasket would compress a bit but not evenly.  So the idea of the
re-torque was to even out the clamping force again.  Some nuts/bolts
would move a bit, some not, according to how much the gasket had
compressed.

   Well, with the idea being to make sure the fasteners are stretched to
the center of their elasticity range and that the clamping force on the
gasket is correct, it doesn't seem reasonable to back the torque off
first. IMHO, YMMV,

   CR