Re: Cooling Fan

To: "RICHARD BOES" <csrb7007@msn.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Cooling Fan
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 11:01:40 +0100
Any particular reason why you are replacing the original configuration with
something else?  I have a V8 with the twin fans, and whilst originally the
cooling was a bit marginal when the temps got up into the 90s I have made a
number of changes and now it will keep its cool in tests in temps
significantly higher than that.  Basically I found I was losing nearly 2
volts between the alternator and the fan terminals.  The V8 wiring is a bit
different to the 4-cylinder, and includes a relay which helps.  I took a
fused wire off the spare output terminal of the alt to the relay which got
rid of about half of the volt-drop, but the biggest improvement was to add
local grounds from the bolts fixing the fan brackets to the slam panel.
Although the 12v feed to the fans uses a heavy gauge wire for most of its
run the ground return path is in standard gauge, has to go all the way back
to a grounding point by the fusebox, and has to support the headlamps and
(rubber bumper) indicators as well, none of which helps.

PaulH.