RE: Cooling Fan

To: "RICHARD BOES" <csrb7007@msn.com>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Cooling Fan
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 09:54:06 -0700
Dick:

The 14" Hayden fan sold by Moss Motors and others will fit on the back
side of the radiator.  The mounting kit uses tabs that mount through the
radiator fins.  I've used this kit on a couple of different applications
with good success.

I used the 14" Hayden on my 1980 Mule MGB that had a lot of wiring
damage and badly corroded fan brackets and motors.  This car is going to
be used as a development platform, so something simple was all that was
required.

I'm using the same fan for sole cooling on my Rover SD1 with 3.5L V8, so
sizing is not an issue.

There is limited clearance between the top of the radiator and the sway
bar, so not all 14" fans will fit.

I agree with the other posters, the original twin fan system when in
good condition is extremely good.  If reasonable to do so, I would
recommend retaining the original system, with the addition of a relay to
control the fans.  The original fan wiring was updated on later cars
with a relay and circuit breaker.  I do plan on using the stock twin fan
system on my MGB V8.

Kelvin Dodd