Hi torque starters

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Hi torque starters
From: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 22:28:15 -0600
Anyone fitted these to their cars??  I had my old inertia drive starter
lock my engine tighter than a drum on saturday.  Couldn't unlock it by
trying to roll start or turn the shaft (it wouldn't turn) or anything.
Luckily I was at a tire shop, and they very generously pushed me onto
the lift, and helped remove the starter (which was not easy).
Afterwards, it still wouldn't start the car (locked again, but not as
hard this time, so I could roll start).  So, I'm looking to replace the
starter.  That hi-torque unit looks appealing, although very expensive.
I've read Barney's tech page, and the only experience there is that 2
years ago they weren't all that great.  So - anyone on the list have
experience here???

Phil Bates
'67 MGB in need of reliable starting
'58 MGA may get it next if all goes well.