Grounds

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Grounds
From: "Daniel Williford" <williford@verizonmail.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2006 23:16:22 -0500
71 BGT gauges work intermittently -- I don't suspect the stabilizer, as when
they quit working, they all quit. I assume there is a common ground that they
operate from? The speedometer brackets are almost impossible to reach behind
the dash and I know the ground on the speedometer is not entirely secure. Would
the lack of proper ground here cause all gauges to go out?

Also, brake lights do not work. Should I suspect the brake light switch or is
there a common ground associated with these that I should investigate first?

Additionally, the tach reads high (when working). Pertronix ignition rather
than points - is this high reading common or should I investigate the HT/LT
circuits?

I puchased this car from the second owner a bit over a year ago. Have redone
the brakes and rebuilt the carbs. Runs (and stops) well, but the intermittent
electrical problems are rather aggrevating. This needs to become my daily
driver, as my regular driver ('00 subaru) was totaled due to an unfortunate
hydroplaning incident....

Rather difficult to commute in an MG when lacking fuel and temerature readings
(as well as brake lights!).

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Dan

71 BGT