I found a roof

To: MG LIST <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: I found a roof
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 01:26:23 +0930
I have been hunting (on and off) for years for a hard-top that was
both cheap enough AND which would accomodate my competition rollbar.
I was starting to think I would need to do some serious modifications
to one or get one purpose built (as I saw at a recent competition
meeting - this hard top had a serious lift at the rear... almost made
as a rear wing to make the bump aerodynamic).

BUT I just found a "competition" hard top that might just fit the
bill.  The rollbar fits out the rear window!  I will need to do
something fancy with a piece of perspex for the rear window but at
this stage that is the least of my worries.  This is just a very
light (flimsy) fibreglass top, no lining, with the spring-loaded
"flap" air-vent.  Perfect for what I want.  A little tatty but looks OK.

At last I can stay a little dry AND I get the aerodynamic boost I
have been looking for.

Here are a couple of shots - it needs rubbers around the edges and
some slight modifying of the top-mount "slots" behind the doors to
make it sit down flush at the rear.  But I think I am onto a good
thing for only a couple of hundred Aussie  dollars or so (haven't
really haggled yet).

http://www.erickson.on.net/carstuff/mgbroof3_sml.jpg
http://www.erickson.on.net/carstuff/mgbroof2_sml.jpg
http://www.erickson.on.net/carstuff/mgbroof5_sml.jpg

If necessary I might need to get the angle-grinder onto the rear
window surround if there is any obstruction with the rollbar - but I
think I will get away with it as it is!

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia