RE: Insurance Results

To: "Charles & Peggy Robinson" <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Subject: RE: Insurance Results
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 11:59:14 -0600
This has some truth to it perhaps. But are there are alternatives? I mean is
there such a thing as stated value or "real" insurance on our classic cars
other than classic insurance policies like Hagertys?

My choices were -
1. Insure both my B and BGT with Hagertys with stated value of 5K and 10K for
a total of $96/year with their stated restrictions.
2. Insure my B and BGT, liability only, low annual mileage (less than 3k) with
USAA at about $250 per year per car.

If I had a fender bender at Walmart, Hagertys will probably pay as they do
allow for "limited" non-show usage. But a standard insurance policy will
definitely only cover the other car and at cost of at least three to four
times as much. I would gladly pay more to allow me to drive my Bs as regular
transport but last time I checked with a few insurance companies, they only
insured older cars for liability or insured them under very restrictive
classic car policies that prohibitted parking anywhere but car shows. Hagertys
advertises that they are less restrictive.

So with a supposed legitimate policy, I'd still be stuck in any kind of fender
bender. I'll take the risk with Hagertys. Unless anyone knows of better ways
to insure. This thread has run on this list many times and not once has there
been any alternatives suggested besides classic car insurance, along with the
ensuing naysayer comments (not trying to be negative here).

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B