Re: How far the rear axle?

To: "Barrie Robinson" <barrie@look.ca>, <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: How far the rear axle?
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:45:02 +0100
Just checked mine and with the body supported by the front hangers and the
axle hanging on the straps I have 5 3/16" between the top of the bump rubber
pedestals (on the axle) and the bottom of the bump rubbers.

That assumes correct bump rubber pedestals and rebound straps of course.
According to the Parts Catalogue there were two rebound straps - one for
chrome bumper 4-cylinder cars and a longer one for all V8s and rubber bumper
4-cylinder, ditto the damper links.  The situation for the pedestal is a bit
confused - the same part number is used for the item specified for the V8
chassis number *and* for the item which has 'Not V8' in the remarks column,
and a different part number for the item which has 'V8' in the Remarks
column.  Also both items (plus lots of others) are bracketed and the change
points quote *all* the 4-cylinder chassis numbers, chrome bumper and rubber.
As far as I'm aware you have to have the shorter damper link for CB
4-cylinder cars, and the longer link on all others, to keep the static
ride-height point near the centre of the damper travel.  Likewise CB
4-cylinder cars have to have the lower pedestal and the shorter strap, and
all other cars the taller pedestal and longer strap, to prevent the damper
'bottoming' at either end of its travel.  When changing a RB car or V8 to
the lower CB 4-cylinder ride heights all these items must be changed to keep
the same amount of travel in compression and rebound and again to prevent
bottoming of the damper.

PaulH.