Re: fusing white

Subject: Re: fusing white
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 06:46:43 -0700
On Jul 5, 2006, at 2:09 AM, Paul Hunt wrote:

> Doesn't really matter which side of the inertia
> switch you add the in-line fuse although on the input side is more
> logical,
> which can be determined simply tripping the switch and seeing which
> whites
> still have power.  Of course if the OD develops a short it will cut
> power to
> the fuel pump as well.

I should have replied to myself yesterday...

As you mentioned, if I had fused the white coming out of the ignition
switch, it would double-fuse the green circuits, which on further
consideration seemed a bit silly.

So I took another look at the wiring that went to the inertia switch.

One one side was a single white wire, the other side was a set of two
wires terminating at a single spade.  According to my wiring diagram,
the single wire runs off to the fuel pump.  This meant to me that one
of the white wires went to the ignition switch; the other ran off to
the alternator warning and overdrive.  Fortunately for me, I was able
to trace both leads into the harness and could visually determine
which wire was which.

My circuit is now fused on the input side of the inertia switch,
under the dash.  As you mention, this means an OD short will kill my
fuel pump, but I can live with that.  If I develop a short, I can
always disconnect the OD circuit before replacing the fuse.