Re: Leak

To: msjeffcock@eastlink.ca
Subject: Re: Leak
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:38:36 -0400
Malcolm,
   Places that can leak mysteriously include:
        Heater air box
        Seams at fender to cowling
        Inner fender tops
        Windshield wiper bases
        Front snap of the fabric top
        and more
   I would start with the fender seams. That   T-shaped filler piece
between fender and cowling should be water tight on top, and also the
fender should be sealed at its forward end, just under the back edge of
the bonnet where there is a vertical gap of about an inch.
   If the top leaks at that front corner a tiny line of water runs down
the windscreen column and drips on the floor. You don't see the water
running on the aluminum but can feel it.  More indicative than feeling it
is to use a kleenex, as it will show drops of water that fingers may not
feel.   A palliative for this leak is to park the car in a different
position on a slope.
   Best of luck.  Leaks can be difficult to locate.
Bob

On Thu, 13 Jul 2006 08:46:12 -0300 Malcolm Jeffcock
<msjeffcock@eastlink.ca> writes:
> Listers:
>
>                 I have a 74 MGB. I don't often drive it in the rain
but when I
> have I had noticed major water coming into both footwells. About two
> weeks ago I undertook a serious search and thought I had found all
> sources--passenger side DPO had put the antennae through but no grommet
in a hole about
> the size of a quarter. Found a few missing grommets on drivers side as
well.
> Thismorning it is pouring in Truro and the B was in my driveway. I
> have quite a bit of water under passenger side. I can't see where it is
coming
> in but it is dripping down the underside of the dash to the right of
the
> glovebox. It is coming down that curve and dropping onto the floor.
Wndshield was