Re: MGA rear end disconnect

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGA rear end disconnect
From: "mgamgb" <mgamgb@ihug.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 15:59:20 +1200
----- Original Message -----
From: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@MGAguru.com>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Cc: <david_breneman@yahoo.com>; <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Sent: Monday, July 17, 2006 2:33 PM

> At 12:48 PM 7/16/06, Eric J Russell wrote:
>>Wire wheel and disc wheel axles are different, BTW.
>>
>>For lots of info about MGA's be sure to bookmark Barney Gaylord's
>>web page. Here's a link to info about rear axles:
>>http://www.mgaguru.com/mgtech/rearaxle/ra1.htm
>
> And if you poke around a little you myght find a picture of your problem:
> http://www.mgaguru.com/abused/ab1.htm
> See the third picture.
>
> I have a spare 10 spline halfshaft for a disk wheel car.  Won't help
> if you have wire wheels.  These parts come up on eBay fairly
> often.  Or someone on this list might have what you need.  The
> halfshaft swap is pretty easy, you just need gasket and seals for the
> rear hub, and do it before dinner in the evening.
>
> Barney Gaylord
> 1958 MGA with an attitude
> http://MGAguru.com

 A half shaft swap on its own is easy enough - but with a broken axle surely
the broken stub needs to be removed, any swarf inside the diff/housing needs
cleaning, which at least  involves draining the diff oil, removing both half
shafts, the driveshaft and diff carrier. Before dinner?- yes, but you need
to start just after breakfast.(as well as a diff head gasket, and a gasket
and seal for the other side)

Cheers
Ian F