Re: Car Covers

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Car Covers
From: Max Heim <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 13:57:57 -0700
Personally, I think 3 years is as much as you can expect, with SoCal sun
exposure. The sun is what kills the fabric, whether cotton or synthetic.
Maybe you could try one of those reflectorized silver ones.

But I've tried four different types, and even in the Bay Area, in partial
shade, they are definitely pretty tatty after 3 years.

I think a lot of people expect too much of car covers. There is no solution
that is waterproof but breathable, dustproof but harmless to paint surfaces,
and that will last indefinitely in all weather. IMO, keeping sun and
bird/tree droppings off is about all they're good for, but in that
application they should be considered expendable. Obviously, they last
longer in a garage environment.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149