RE: Car Covers

To: "Max Heim" <max_heim@sbcglobal.net>,
Subject: RE: Car Covers
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 14:44:07 -0700
Ron:

I tend to agree with Max. Unless you can keep the sun off them, none of
the materials is going to last much longer than 3 years. Out of all the
cover materials I have used the Duravent type material with the
perforated holes held up the best, but I have an Ultralon on my Rover
now which so far is doing well after a year. Ultralon is very prone to
cat claws though, so it is more easily damaged.

There is a big difference in material life, cheaper covers tend to start
falling apart after only a few months.

I live up in Ojai where the covers get a lot of abuse from sun and wind.
Making sure that there are no sharp corners under the cover really helps
and I've started adding additional plastic tarp grommets to my covers so
I can run a perimeter rope around the entire edge of the cover.

The pins on top of MGA windshield frames really play havoc with the
covers. I've taken to installing a cockpit cover under the car cover as
it has thick nylon reinforced areas where the pins are and prevents the
cover from being torn.

Over the last 15 years I've probably gone through 20 or so covers. It's
nice to have the majority of the cars finally sheltered, now if I could
just get enough room to move around them to get some work done.

Kelvin.