Re: MGB engine problem

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB engine problem
From: "Eric J Russell" <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:07:01 -0400
> Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 21:10:11 -0400
> From: Matt Trebelhorn

> Near the end of the trip, it developed a little bit of a surge at
> cruise --

> So I replaced the head gasket...
> the old head gasket looked fine, and the new one fixed nothing.

Well, the head gasket wouldn't have been the first thing I'd have
condemned! Certainly not without a compression test & leakdown test.

I'd suggest looking for possible intake leaks &/or vacuum leaks. Then
the typical tune-up things - timing, point gap, mixture, valve
clearance, etc What do/did the spark plugs look like?

What year MGB are we discussing? Twin SU's or Z-S carb? Catalytic
converter?

Eric Russell
Mebane, NC
http://home.mebtel.net/~ejrussell