Re: MGB engine problem

To: "Matt Trebelhorn" <matt.lists@trebelhorn.com>,
Subject: Re: MGB engine problem
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2006 10:15:58 +0100
To be honest unless you were going to change the head gasket anyway I'd
never have started with that, you could have introduced all sorts of
additional and confusing problems.

I'd have started by going through the normal setting-up process of valve
clearances, plug gap and condition, points gap/dwell, timing including
centrifugal and vacuum operation, and carb air and mixture balance.  Then if
you can reproduce it with your head under the bonnet clip on an
inductive-type timing light and watching for any irregularity of flashing.
If that happens you can go through the ignition system.  If not it could
still be plugs, then I'd be looking at fuel delivery (at least 1 pt per
minute  at the carbs, with negligible bubbles) or for vacuum leaks with carb
cleaner or propane squirted around the inlet manifold.

PaulH.