Re: shoes

Subject: Re: shoes
From: Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:03:27 -0700
On Jul 26, 2006, at 4:53 PM, Max Heim wrote:

> I think they design those with power brakes in mind... I find the
> lack of
> arch support a real problem when I have to put real force into a
> pedal --
> for instance, many clutches, and the brakes on my other car (4-piston,
> unboosted, 3400 lb car).

My B does have power brakes, but the brake booster isn't hooked up.
One of these days, I'll have to look at why the PO disconnected it,
but I haven't gotten enough round tuits to do the job.  As you would
expect, the pedal force requirements are fairly high.

I'm currently wearing Nike trail running shoes, lots of sole, stiff,
but low cut.  They work great for walking, riding, running,
whatever... except driving.

> I know I have read of at least one driving shoe that has a thin,
> springy
> metal (titanium?) plate in the sole for this purpose, and it
> sounded like a
> good idea to me. But Aaron was mainly concerned with ankle
> irritation, so
> this might not be an issue for him.

I suspect it hasn't been an issue because I've always had shoes with
stiff soles, so I don't want to give up one pain for another.

Do the wrestling shoes mentioned earlier have pretty stiff soles?

--
Aaron Whiteman -- http://www.panix.com/~awhitema/MG/
  '75 B (red for now), HIF4 carbs