Dual carb conversion question -- correct fuel hookup?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dual carb conversion question -- correct fuel hookup?
From: "Keith G." <k2@gernertzone.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 07:52:35 -0400
I'm close to wrapping up my dual HIF carb conversion on my '79 B, and
am now at the point of hooking up the fuel line.  I'm a little
confused as to how it all connects.

>From the vantage point of the right side of the engine bay, there are
two tubes protruding from the left side of the front carb, and just
one such tube on the right side of the rear one.  From what I can
glean from the Haynes manual's section on HIFs, the lower of the two
tubes on the front carb is the fuel inlet.

The upper tube on the front carb, protruding from a circular shape on
the carb body, is labelled as a vent tube.  The lone tube protruding
from the rear carb appears to be a counterpart vent tube.  It also
comes out of a matching circular shape on the carb body.

I ran a new fuel line from the firewall connection into the front
carb's lower tube.  When I turn the key on and fuel starts flowing,
fuel spills from the rear carb's vent tube (if indeed that's what it
is).

So I'm having doubts that I've connected the fuel line correctly.  If
that tube on the rear carb really is a vent tube, I can't believe
that much fuel is supposed to flow out of it.  Am I supposed to put a
T in the fuel line and connect one side of the T to that lone tube on
the rear carb?  Or is something amiss, causing fuel to spill from a
vent tube when it should not?
--
Keith Gernert
79 MGB