RE: Carb issue

To: "Steve Johnson" <sjohnson@umext.maine.edu>
Subject: RE: Carb issue
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 10:40:43 -0600
HIF carbs? Whether its the HIFs or HS carbs, they still use a float/jet
system. This is very much like a toilet bowl where the flow cuts off after the
float reaches a certain height. With the HS carbs, the top of the float bowl
can be removed and the float plus the needle/seat can be inspected and
cleaned. With the HIF carbs, the float bowls are under the carb bodies so its
harder to work on them without removing the carbs.

Although your symptoms could be caused by a fuel pump that is operating at too
high of a pressure, I would start at the float area. I have heard of floats
themselves acquiring a hole such that they no longer float but have never
personally seen this. The float needs to be adjusted to allow fuel to a
certain level in the bowl. The needle/seats should be replaced at some point
although there may be dirt or grit keeping them from sealing. I am mainly
familiar with HS carbs although I have a spare HIF set from my 72B (it is
currently using HS4 carbs from my old 71BGT). With the HS carbs, I have found
the original style needle/valve set works reliably for several years. The
grose jet version, on the other hand, seemed to be more prone to sometimes not
sealing (tapping trick fixes that).

The Haynes manual or the more expensive Bentley manual will give good
instructions on working with the carb float system. The necessary replacement
parts (gasket, needle/valve set) are fairly inexpensive, I think probably
around or under $20 USD from the usual vendors.

David Councill
1967 MGBGT
1972 MGB
1974 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40