[Top] [All Lists]

Repair sad story

To: <>
Subject: Repair sad story
From: "DON SCOTT" <>
Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2006 10:07:42 -0700
That was probably the worst MG repair story of my car-life.  A close
second was the brand new head I bought from Moss Motors for my MGB.  It
was a bare head, so I had to install new valves, valve springs, and
seals.  When I installed the new head onto the engine block in the car,
everything seemed fine.  When I went to fill the radiator, it seemed to
require a hell of a lot of water.  For good reason, the head was a bad
casting, and the water was running out the tailpipe!  Moss did give me a
new head, but the labor involved was on me, and there's a lot of it
involved on such a task.
Don Scott
'91 Miata BRG
'62 MG
'92 Integra GSR

   The same thing happened to me on the first MGB engine I rebuilt. 
Fortunately I had a friend who ran a sporty car repair shop.  He 
explained that the basic gasket set was also used for another (was it a

Mercedes?) engine and there were two oil pump gaskets in it.  The one I

had used had the pump's output passage blocked.  That's how I found out

that the pan could be removed with the engine in situ.  More work but
sure was a relief.  Those two gaskets were almost identical.  You have

to try 'em on the pump to make sure all the holes are in the right


don wrote:
> Years ago, I rebuilt the engine in my '67 B GT and had no oil
> when I fired it up.  I tried priming it with a pressure tank loaned
> me by the machine shop that did the work on the engine.  I ended up 
> pulling the engine and tearing it apart only to discover that I had 
> messed up the oil pump gasket.  Don't remember for sure- I either had
> positioned wrong or used the wrong one from the gasket set.  In any 
> case, it blocked the gasket obstructed the oil passage.

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Repair sad story, DON SCOTT <=