Losing power at high rpms...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Losing power at high rpms...
From: craigw@sonic.net
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 12:26:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hi folks. I've got a very high compression MGB. Therefore, I've been using
premium California fuel (91 octane) & using an NOS octane booster to keep
my B from pinging under load. It's been working pretty well for the most
part.

This weekend I was on the freeway in 5th gear doing around 65mph, and
found that when I increased the throttle, the car actually felt like it
was losing power. This was the first I've noticed this. The MGB usually
increases speed etc., at this level.

I got to my destination. Upon leaving, the B started fine and drove fine
(it seemed) until I put it under load going up a slight grade at around
40mph. It felt like maybe a cylinder was 'missing' but not as starkly as
if a plug wire had been removed. Anyway, I drove it home through town and
tried not to load it down; kept the revs higher than usual. I parked it
and just got around to looking at it yesterday.

I removed the plugs and found that they all had a nice, even 'bright
orange' deposit on them; almost like rust. They smelled normal. I cleaned
them off & re-installed them. I also removed the fuel filter (which looked
like it had some orange gunk in it as well) and replaced it too. I took
the B around the neighborhood and found it still didn't like it when I
stepped on the throttle upwards of 4000 to 4500 rpms. After around 10
minutes or so, the car seemed like it was starting to perform normally
again.

I checked the coolant and it seemed fine. I checked the exhaust and saw
nothing whatsoever coming out of the tailpipe. The engine is a Glenn
Towery rebuild which I've had in the car now for 5 years or so, with not
too many miles on it.

Anyone have a clue what the 'orange' deposits might be?

Thanks, and best regards,
Craig Wiper
Santa Rosa, CA