carburetter balancing

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: carburetter balancing
From: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu
Date: Sat, 9 Sep 2006 22:07:38 -0400
Hi all,
   I've been working to balance a pair of HIF's mounted on a 76B and noticed
something odd. The seat of the rear carb is noticeably depressed relative to
the position of the seat in the front carb when the engine is cool and at
operating temperature. The difference lessons but does not go away when the
throttle is engaged.

   Shouldn't they be approximately equal?  What does this situation mean (other
than one carb is richer than the other)?  I'd like to ask an intelligent
question, but am not sure what that is in this case (boy, am I opening up
myself to appropriate responses!).

  Comments anyone?
TIA,
Bill S.