Re: carburetter balancing

To: saidel@camden.rutgers.edu
Subject: Re: carburetter balancing
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:42:03 -0400
Hi Bill,
   You mentioned carburettor balancing in the subject line, but not
again.   Are these HIFs in balance / synchronised?
   It's possible for one carb to be sucking more air and be adjusted rich
for fuel flow while the other one is sucking less air and lean, yet the
engine seems to run OK.   This can be deceiving.
   If you haven't balanced the air flow recently, that's the place to
start.  I use a Uni-Syn; there are other types that work as well.  Some
get good results with the listening-through-a-rubber hose method that MG
showed in the TD manual.  My hearing is not sufficiently acute for that
to work for me.
   Another thought-- the HIFs have a temperature compensating device
that, if not adjusted right, can cause the jets to be uneven.
Bob