Re: So, what's this

To: barrie@look.ca
Subject: Re: So, what's this
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 11:12:58 -0400
   Possibly the Moss #127-710?  That's a large bearing and there are two
of them, one on outboard end of each half-shaft. Or 128-000, inner end of
the shaft?
   The pinion bearing, # 125-610 is large too, but but there is only one
of this size.
   Bearings shouldn't need to be hammered in, and hammering is not nice
for bearings. Light tapping for installation is OK, but if there are
signs of hammering, the bearing was not handled kindly.
   I think of whining as not a bearing sound but a gear sound.  Do you
still have the noise?
   Bearings usually give a grinding, gnawing, rumbling, low-pitched
sound.   A whine in the MGB axle is likely to be from worn thrust
washers, 267-130 and 267-140, though when they are bad enough to cause a
whine you generally experience a clunk when changing from forward to
reverse.
Bob