Re: Quick questions

To: "John Roberts" <robe3099@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: Quick questions
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:59:31 -0600 (MDT)
Quick answers-

1) whatever 12 volt will fit.  For an MGB it's a group 26 - don't know for
a midget, but suspect the same.  Regardless, you can pick up something at
the oh so hated Wal-Mart that will fit.

2) Castrol GT LMA - I believe it's classified as DOT 4, but it is the
preferred brand and spec by every british car owner I have heard from.
I'm really not sure why, but I've heard run of the mill DOT 3 doesn't do
well with the old natural rubber in british cars.

3) What gearbox??  I think overdrive was available for midgets, but I'm
not sure.  Anyhow, any older british car without overdrive - hypoid gear
oil - probably 90 wt is spec'd, but it comes in multi-viscosity now - for
cars with overdrive consult the manual, but typically any non-detergent
oil - which means ND30.

Phil Bates