Re: over drive oil

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: over drive oil
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 14:34:42 -0500
   Good lord, what drivel.  I've been using 20W-50 Castro l GTX in my
engines, trannies and ODs for years with no ill effects.

   We hear guys that are not engineers being quoted on what oil to use
as though they were divinely inspired.  We should ignore the manuals
because some self-taught mechanic sez so?  Or because some other
mechanic goes on about oil formulations being changed over the years?

   Let's take the OP's msg.  He found a note taped on his rebuilt OD
tranny, telling him to use 50W, non-detergent oil.  Can you imagine
using that stuff in the winter?  One thing about the manual telling us
to use the same oil in the tranny as in the engine; it allows for using
lighter weight or multi vis oil in colder weather.  Because of little
things like this, I'll go with the manual.  Er, the manual and the fact
that 20 years of my doing so has caused no probs.

   My .02,

    CR