RE: troubleshooting brake servo

To: "Aaron Whiteman" <awhitema@panix.com>,
Subject: RE: troubleshooting brake servo
From: "Gosling, Richard" <r.gosling@penspen.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 09:03:31 -0000
I assume this is the remote servo, located on the opposite side of the car to
the brake cylinder?

I can't think of much you could do to test it.  You could connect up the pipe
that links the servo to the inlet manifold, and suck on it - you shouldn't be
able to suck a continuous flow of air, if you can there is a significant
leak/tear in the diaphragm.

Otherwise just plumb it up and see how it goes.

By all reports the remote servo doesn't make a HUGE difference to the braking
effort, even when working perfectly - can't report from my own experience, both
my BGTs have had the servo so I've nothing to compare with.

One issue to note - while resuscitating Sammy II I had a NIGHTMARE bleeding my
brakes.  Eventually I narrowed it down to the servo, and after much faffing and
(failed) attempt to dismantle and inspect, I bought a new one.  Final diagnosis
- air trapped in the branch off where the air valve is: in the normal MGB
installation position this is at the top, so air that gets in that branch can
never get out as part of normal bleeding procedure.  Rotate the servo so the
valve is below the cylinder (carefully, with the brake lines attached, so they
don't kink or break), and bleed, gets rid of the air, then rotate back into
place.  Realised this from the instructions with the new servo (which was
generic, the same servo as the original but could be used in a number of
different cars, recommended install with the valve at the bottom and angled
with the end of the cylinder pointing up).  Probably spend ### on a new servo
when there was nothing wrong with the old one!!!

Richard & Sammy II ('73 Black Tulip BGT)

This message (including any attachments) is confidential and may be privileged.
If you have received it by mistake please notify the sender by return E-mail
and delete this message from your system. Any unauthorised use or dissemination
of this message in whole or in part is strictly prohibited. Please note that
E-mails are susceptible to change.

The Penspen Group shall not be liable for the improper or incomplete
transmission of the information contained in this communication nor for any
delay in its receipt or damage to your system. The Penspen Group does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference.