Re: troubleshooting brake servo

To: "Aaron Whiteman" <awhitema@panix.com>,
Subject: Re: troubleshooting brake servo
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 08:50:20 -0000
You don't say the year of the car or the type of servo (remote or attached)
which makes it difficult to advise.  Remote servos can suffer a major
problem where they suck the fluid out of the brake hydraulics and eventually
cause total brake failure, I don't *think* this can affect the attached
servo as it acts on the push-rod and not the fluid directly.  I'm not
surprised someone reckoned it had 'broken brakes', whist the remote servo
only adds a little assistance (it was an option at one time) the attached
servo gives significant assistance and hence makes then very heavy when not
operational.  I'd suspect a major vacuum leak with this type, as this
significantly affects the running of the engine.  My Haynes doesn't cover
servo repairs or servicing saying it is too complicated, and my 76 Leyland
Manual doesn't cover the attached type.

PaulH.