Re: odd overdrive symptom

To: "R. Martin Rogovein" <rmort@bezeqint.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: odd overdrive symptom
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:47:15 -0000
Could the panel have been damaged already?  I while removed by a previous
owner or garage?  Unless there are large mechanical bits floating free in
the casing I can't see how else it would have happened.  As you say it
shouldn't be the solenoid.  When powered it tries to move the piston to the
middle of the coil (regardless of polarity) but the ball valve stops it
before it reaches it, which means there is no way it could be further in to
the unit than half-way so that powering it would throw the piston towards
the base of the unit.  When the solenoid is de-energised it is only oil
pressure that pushes it back down, not a spring to thwack it against the
plate.

PaulH.