general carb icing question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: general carb icing question
From: "Phil Bates" <jello@ida.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 08:36:06 -0700 (MST)
This is not an MG question, but I figured someone like Barney may have
background knowledge on this.  I have a car with downdraft IDA weber carbs
- one per cylinder - no chokes.  It's a little tough to start cold, but it
works.  Anyhow, twice, my car has started to run crappy in the snow.  When
I stopped driving I opened up the engine compartment to see that there was
frost on the outside of carbs.  The first time it was one carb.  Today it
was 3 of the 6 showing frost on the outside of the carb.  I haven't had
the opportunity to look inside, but suspect its icing in there too.  What
I don't know is this - what exactly causes icing??  I know it's the
venturi effect, evaporation, and moisture - but is there a lean or rich
condition that also increases the likelyhood of icing??  What is the
effect of carb icing - do I end up with a chunk of Ice going in my
intake?? Or maybe a jet blanking off due to ice and then a lean mixture??

Phil Bates