Re: Information

To: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>,mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Information
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@mgaguru.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 01:39:32 -0600
At 07:58 PM 2/11/2007 -0800, David Breneman wrote:
>--- Simon Matthews <simon.d.matthews@gmail.com> wrote:
> > My MGA 1500 engine will get up to operating pressure on just the
> > starter alone. Not immediately -- it does take a significant amount
> > of cranking, but it gets there!
>
>I guess in 30 years I've never cranked one that long before!  :-)

Plan on 40 to 45 seconds of cranking with plugs removed to see first
oil pressure on the gauge (a little quicker if you fill the oil
filter first).  If it hasn't happened in one minute of cranking, it
isn't going to happen, so don't burn out the starter motor trying.

For manually priming the oil pump see here:
http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/engine/of103.htm
In a nutshell, disconnect the external oil pipe at RR corner of
engine block, put oil into the block at that point, and turn the
engine backward to draw oil back into the pump.

If the oil will not flow in at that point with reverse rotation, you
may have installed the wrong gasket for the oil pump to block
joint.  Gasket sets contain two gaskets.  Installing the smaller
gasket for the three main bearing engine will defeat the oil pump in
the five main bearing engine.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com