Re: Radiator

To: "Monte/Jane Morris" <montejane@gmail.com>, "MG list"
Subject: Re: Radiator
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2007 16:52:24 -0000
Depends how greater surface area is achieved.  If by putting an extra row of
tubes along the front or back the gain is relatively small as the 2nd, 3rd
and 4th rows do progressively less work as the air presented to them is
already heated by the previous rows, i.e. the law of diminishing returns.
You would be better off increasing the draught at a stand-still with an
electric fan.  But bear in mind getting above N isn't overheating.  Even
getting up to the H isn't overheating if it isn't losing coolant or
steaming.  If the radiator is leaking it may not allow the system to develop
sufficient pressure which in itself can cause boiling, and the leak may
suddenly get much worse if the split worsens.  MGBs run in desert states
without additional cooling, although I don't know whether humidity makes the
cooling system more or less effective.  I know it makes the human cooling
system less effective, but that is because it relies on evaporation of
internal fluid (i.e. leaks!) which is more effective in dry heat.  There can
be any number of reasons why the cooling system can't dissipate what the
engine is outputting, some of them engine related and others cooling system
related.

PaulH.