Re: MGB GH-series brake rebuild

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MGB GH-series brake rebuild
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 05:12:36 -0800 (PST)
Thanks Paul.  All good advice.  The words about the
tin reservoir are the kinds of 'non-standard' things I
was meaning.

And you are right about the costs.  This car has set
for some time (couple of years) with dead brakes.
That tells me that moisture could have damaged any
part of the system - or just the 100k+ miles and old
age can't have helped.

I've decided to order and obviously replace, the
following components:

+ rear cylinders
+ springs and hardware if found to be overly rusty
+ shoes, of course
+ rear flex hose
+ rear adjuster assembly if too far gone
+ and I'll have the drums turned just to true them
  unless they too are too far gone.

+ front caliper piston seals if the bores and pistons

  are salvagable, rebuilt calipers if too far gone.
+ any too far gone hardware
+ the rotors look okay (smooth) but I will measure
  them.  If there is enough material there, I will
  have them turned, or just trued, as required.  Else,

  new rotors.
+ new flex hoses
+ pads

+ and I will examine all brake lines and the front-
  rear failure detection valve.

And of course, as this is a disease, I may change out
all the suspension bushings and wheel bearings while I
have things apart.  Then there's the steering rack...

This is just a hobby for me.  Turning spanners makes
the day job disappear. :-)

Thanks again for the advice.

rick