Re: [MGS] Gauge restoration, more pictures...

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>, MGS <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] Gauge restoration, more pictures...
From: Rick Lindsay <rolindsay@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2007 05:37:16 -0700 (PDT)
Hello Paul, et al.,

--- Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

> The oil gauge is best avoided as other than the
> first year they were provided it is *not* fed from
> the voltage stabilizer as the other two are (it has
> its own stabilizer inside the sender), so will give
> different readings.

Correct.  Better safe...  Still, the tests (and
internal examination) reveal that Smiths used the same
basic heated bi-metal strip in my circa 1970,
rectangular shaped gauge as they use in many of the
other thermo-electric (not meter-movement) gauges.

FWIW, my son, the nuclear physicist, found the pulsing
mechanical voltage regulator fascinating.  His big
smile came when he realized that one must integrate
the output voltage over time to get the apparent
operating voltage.  Then, realize that when the system
voltage goes up, the duty-cycle on the regulator goes
down - and visa versa.  The integral stays (mostly)
constant, thus regulation.  Cool beans!

> PaulH.

Thanks for the comments Paul.  I too am a physicist
and really enjoy the technological aspects of our
beloved cars.  Your comments are, as usual, right on
the mark and always interesting.

rick