Re: [MGS] 70 hard turning window crank and loose vent hinges

To: dwillner@ptd.net
Subject: Re: [MGS] 70 hard turning window crank and loose vent hinges
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 09:51:43 -0400
Hi Dave,
   Replacement of the rubber seals is a good thing to do. Keeping water
out of the doors is always worthwhile.
   When the interior panel has been removed you will be able to see the
window mechanism.  Though you may be able to replace the rubber seals
with the glass in the door, others say it can't be done.  It may depend
on the winders being the early or the late version.  But I would remove
the glass inwith either version of winder as that allows for better
access to all the moving parts of the winder mechanism.
   A bit of oil on everything will loosen crusty white grease.  Wipe it
off, get everything clean, then lubricate with white Lubriplate all the
pivots, the sliding track, and the winder gears & shaft.
   First thing to do when the panel is out of your way is to put some
penetrating oil onto the bottom pivot bolt and nut of the vent window.
Those bolts are fragile. You sure don't want to snap one off, as
replacement of the bolt requires removal of the vent window. Once you
have done the other cleaning and lubrication, you can return to the pivot
to snug its nut a bit.
   Next is reassembly. When the glass is back in place, adjust its
guides. It's fiddley work, but when the glass is right it moves quite
easily. Just a wee bit of misalignment increases effort a lot.  A shot of
silicone or dry lube in the tracks can help too.
Bob