Re: [MGS] 70 hard turning window crank and loose vent hinges

To: "davewillner" <dwillner@ptd.net>, "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [MGS] 70 hard turning window crank and loose vent hinges
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 08:56:39 +0100
First could either be a very stiff mechanism, or the glass jamming in the
channels.  Because there is a certain amount of back-lash between the two it
is relatively easy to determine which.  Of course, both could be stiff
:o(  With the window wound half-way, change the direction you are turning
the handle.  If the handle moves easily between stopping it winding (say)
down to starting it winding up, then it is the glass that is jamming, the
mechanism is OK.  If it is stiff in the area of back-lash i.e. the 'dead'
area when changing direction, it is the mechanism.  Mechanism is probably
just lubrication, but could be corrosion which could mean lubrication might
not make much difference.  Glass could be ripped/bunched-up channel felts.

For the vent or 1/4-light the bottom pivot has a spring with a nut on the
bottom, tightening/slackening the nut adjusts the 'stiffness' of the
1/4-light.  However when dismantling my doors both mine were seized and
snapped off, so unless yours move easily I'd leave well alone, as it
involves getting the glass out of the opening frame to replace the pivot.

PaulH.