[MGS] Re: MGC Info?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: [MGS] Re: MGC Info?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2007 12:52:29 EDT
In a message dated 06/06/2007 8:50:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

We've  got an MGC down at the shop that is going to get the
engine rebuilt and the  gearbox, with overdrive,  gone through.
Are the MGC transmissions the  same as MGB, completely
different or have only some parts in  common?

The claim is that the engine is based on the Healey straight  6,
same bore and stroke, but is totally different.  Wonder if  any
of the internal bits are the same as  Healeys?
are different ratios, but all of the other stuff on and in it are the same
as all synch MGB transmissions.

The 7 main MGC engine shares basically nothing with the Austin Healey C
series. You can substitute pistons, as the compression height is teh same, but
the crank and con rods are different. Interestingly (to me, anyway, but then I
am easily amused) the MGC bottom end looks very much like a late MGB with flat
 sided crankshaft and horizontal split rods.

You might try and sell the owner on a balance job and lighten the flywheel  -
they will never be a high revver compared to the MGB, but that definitely
helps.

Or you could suggest that he do what I did...:-)

_http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/mgc2.jpg_
(http://www.rhodo.citymax.com/i/non-rhodo/mgc2.jpg)

Bill Spohn
(the mods I did are good for around 175 BHP - nice  improvement)