Re: [Mgs] wobble

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] wobble
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:27:08 EDT
In a message dated 15/06/2007 10:05:33 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
doddk@mossmotors.com writes:

If there  is sufficient material left on the brake rotor, the faces can
be cleaned  and de-grooved by a machine shop.

MGB brake rotors don't have a lot of  meat on them, so it may be
necessary to install new rotors and pads. It may  be cheaper too, as the
price of new rotors is pretty  low.

____________________________________

Just to add to what Kelvin said, new rotors are cheap like  Borscht -
replacing them on an MGB isn't painful at all.  You only have as  I recall,
about
.040" to play with at most.

You do NOT need to clean off all the scoring from dust  and grit. Although it
makes a nice looking rotor, it doesn't affect braking much  at all. Better to
leave a few divots than to cut the rotor down enough to clean  even the
deepest marks. The reason is twofold. First, the scoring doesn't cause  a
problem
with the pads - they wear into the score pattern very quickly and  you'll never
know they are there. Second, if you cut the rotor down too much,  you have
the pistons coming out even further, they can corrode on the newly  exposed
surfaces and you'll probably be looking at new pistons next time you put  new
pads
in and push those now rough pistons back into the bore (they typically  don't
seal very well thereafter).

One caveat - I used to work on a shop that did brakes and  we quickly learned
to take a few thou skim on brand new rotors to true them  up as they were
notoriously slightly out of true and if  we didn't do this, we'd get come backs
with brake pedal pulsing etc. Kelvin can  probably tell us if that is still
true (no pun intended), although even if it  were, he might not hear about it
as
the shops would just true them up rather  than bitching about it.

Bill Spohn