Re: [Mgs] West coast road trip time and places to stay

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] West coast road trip time and places to stay
From: Rod Williams <PRNDL@sonic.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 22:55:38 -0700
Man, Aaron, you've got a real Road Warier trip planned, my friend!

> First, is two days reasonable to get from Portland to the Bay area
> along the Coast Highway?
Umm... not really. The drive is insanely great but *very* twisty and you'll
want to/have to stop to take in the view, eat, get your heart to slow down
after almost being run off the road by a huge lumber truck again, etc. It's
really more like two and a half to two and three quarters days minimum. And
that's not being pokey either. You didn't say; what will you be driving? I
assume the Subaru. You *could* just slam it through in two very long, tiring
days, but why bother?? Two long days will just about get you from Petaluma
to Portland via 5 and 101 whistling along at 75 mph.

> Second, with that route, are there conveniently placed listers that
> know of places where I can stay along the way (I'm thinking tent, not
> motel).
The tent thing will be fun, wet, and affordable, but it will also determine
your stops 'cause there's not a lot of organized civilization for a big
chunk of your route. One great stop is the Redwood National Forrest south of
Crescent City. Super cool.

> Third, is $4/gallon a reasonable overestimate of fuel cost for
> Northern California and Oregon?
Regular gas here in Petaluma is $3.12 or so and premium is $3.40-.50.

Petaluma's a great place. You'll enjoy your time here.
--
Rod Williams
Petaluma, California