Re: [Mgs] West coast road trip time and places to stay

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] West coast road trip time and places to stay
From: David Breneman <david_breneman@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 13:38:22 -0700 (PDT)
--- Aaron Whiteman <awhitema@panix.com> wrote:

> First, is two days reasonable to get from Portland to the Bay area
> along the Coast Highway?

Yes.  A friend and drove my MGB from Tacoma to San Francisco in
1979, cutting over to 101 at Portland.  We left Tacoma at 6:00
and arrived in Oakland (where we finally found a motel) at 2:00
the next morning.  I'd never do that again.  But in two days,
yes, it would be great.  At least nowadays there won't be as
many logging trucks to get stuck behind, but probably just
as many Winnebagos with clueless Good Sams at the wheel.

> Second, with that route, are there conveniently placed listers that
> know of places where I can stay along the way (I'm thinking tent,
> not  motel).

I can't really reccommend any hotels, but if you're going
down the coast you've got to do Sea Lion Caves, Trees of
Mystery and some of the other cheesy roadside attractions.
"There's something about Sea Lion Caves that steals your
heart!"  Yeah, the smell. :-)

David Breneman         david_breneman@yahoo.com

that gives answers, not web links.