Re: [Mgs] Gasket sealants

To: "Ron Fine" <RonFineEsq@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Gasket sealants
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 09:13:25 -0700
Ron:

The test glob of Graco Hylomar (221-556) is still putty like in
consistancy, which agrees with the manufacturer's statement for
operating characteristics.

Thin smears feel dry to the touch, but the thicker areas can be easily
moved around. The consistancy feels sorta like warm starburst candy if
that helps. Don't know if you ever tried smushing starburst candy
together as a kid.
Personally, I was in the UK and they were called "Opal Fruits".  Made to
make your mouth water!

Sorry, got into a digression.

Back to recommendations.

I used to use Gasketcinch type products (setting contact rubber
adhesive) on gaskets that did not have thermal expansion issues such as
engine front and back plates, the joints would be very leakproof but
disassembly and cleanup were a real problem. Now the only place I use
this type of material is gluing the valve cover gasket to the rocker
cover. I grease the other mating surface then make sure not to
overtighten and crush the gasket.

I'm now using Wellseal non setting compound on all thin paper gaskets
and have been using UK sourced Hylomar on areas that need some form of
gap filler such as the rear main area of oil pan gaskets and V8 intake
shim gaskets. On the next build I'll give this Graco Hylomar a try since
it's acting like the Jaguar stuff I have been using.

I've never really had problems sealing transmissions as the paper
gaskets just colored with sealant do the job if you are careful to
remove burrs from the mating surfaces.

Kelvin Dodd

Permatex
> products are to be used without a paper gasket and others are called
> "sealants" for use with a gasket.  By the way, Permatex products are
the
> only
> ones that are sold by all the auto parts stores in my part of Los
Angels.