Re: [Mgs] Overdrive oil

To: <mark.jones@exxonmobil.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Overdrive oil
From: "Councill, David" <dcouncill@msubillings.edu>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 21:52:01 -0600
Nice information. I have to confess that I did run 90W gear oil in my B
transmission for a year or so back in the 80s. This was because it had
started to leak and I thought the heavier oil would not leak as much
until I could get it fixed. The transmission survived and gave me
another 20 years of service after that (unfortunately it is now in my
garage and needs to be rebuilt).

Still the properties cited are critical. I have had 90w gear oil
solidify in my Landcruiser transmission when temperatures got to -30 F.
I had to hold the clutch down for about five minutes or so after the car
started until the shaft could turn, even in neutral. That was also about
20 years ago - the Landcruiser survived and still has the original
clutch and runs well. And I now have had the fortune of having a house
with a three stall heated garage for the past 15 years.

-30 C is -22F whereas -24 C is -11F. Usually we don't see temperatures
much cooler than -20 F where I live in Montana but minus teens are
common during cold spells. I usually use 10-40w in the winter though and
it should have an even lower pour point.

I don't drive my MGs anymore when it is below zero F. Starting gets iffy
at that point and I have to scrape ice off the inside of the windshield
while I'm driving, even with the heat on.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B
74 Toyota Landcruiser