[Mgs] Driving, one bump, no power ....

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Driving, one bump, no power ....
From: Paul Root <ptrmgb@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 16:27:01 -0500
So I'm driving into work to replace the dns/proxy server.   And I change
lanes for my exit, and hit a bump.
Radio goes off, no power, push in the clutch, and the engine dies. Hit
the starter, nothing.

I have good speed so I manage to coast through the exit ramp and onto a
frontage road.

I pull the battery cover, battery looks fine. Check the connections on
the starter, I pulled one off and put it
back.  Nothing.

Get out the trouble light. Power across the battery. Power to the brown
side of the fuse box, power to the
other side, on 1. Check the ignition cutoff switch under the dash. It
wasn't tripped.  Fiddle with wires.

Go back, and turn the key. Car starts. Cool.

Put the tools away, close the trunk, close the hood. Drive on.

No radio, no clock. Ignition light is on. Hmm.

Get to work, and check all the fuses I can find. None blown. So I've got
to do some tracing there.

I'm thinking alternator. It needs a new belt anyway, it's been squealing
when cold for the past month, or more.

I think that the battery hopped and grounded out. It's not secured. I
know, stupid.
I had the positive taped over so it couldn't ground out.  But I had left
the lights on a while back and killed the battery,
so I had opened it up for the trickle charger. Then didn't tape it back up.

Paul.
'77B.