Re: [Mgs] Cam Bearings

To: max_heim@sbcglobal.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Cam Bearings
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 13:14:27 EDT
In a message dated 9/25/2007 10:10:45 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
max_heim@sbcglobal.net writes:

My wife  used to have a Honda that
didn't even have cam bearings -- the cam journals  ran directly on the
aluminum cylinder head casting.

You should be  glad to save the expense and the bother -- fitting cam
bearings is a bit of  a chore (consider where they are located).

Many engines do not use cam bearings.  The early Triumph  TR-2 did not, nor
does my Lamborghini V-12.

Personally I would rather have a surface I could replace if  scratched than a
journal that I'd have to ream - in the case of an OHC with caps  - on the old
TR you were right out of luck if the block ever wore too a larger  diameter
so clearance was excessive. Doubt that happened much, mind  you.

Bill