Re: [Mgs] BGT problems

To: r.gosling@penspen.com, MG-MGB@yahoogroups.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Mgs] BGT problems
From: RampantNM@aol.com
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 13:03:12 EDT
In a message dated 10/15/2007 10:23:46 AM Mountain Daylight Time,
r.gosling@penspen.com writes:

Has the  radiator been flushed at all recently?  There could be any
amount of  muck restricting the free flow of coolant.

Just one of a number of  possible remedies, but a cheap one to try
first...

Also, what's the  drive like?  Free-flowing or stop-start?  In
free-flowing traffic  the fan shouldn't need to do any work, the forward
motion of the car should  be enough, so I wouldn't spend too much of my
effort focussing on the fan  unless your car spends significant time
under  20mph.

Radiator was flused an checked a few months ago when we changed the  engine.

The drive is mostly freeway.  First five miles has maybe 4 stop  lights, and
3-4 at the other end, but most is 55-70 MPH freeway.

One thing I forgot to mention yesterday, as I let off the gas and coasted  to
a stop at those first few lights, I had 3-4 large backfires through the
muffler, with great clouds of smoke from each one.  If I pushed in the  clutch
and
let it idle as I coasted to the stop, the backfires did not  occur.

John Twist set the carbs in April, so they should still be spot on.

Regards,

Robert B. Houston
63 TR4
74.5 MGBGT
73 MG  Midget

b&Reminds me of my safari in Africa, somebody forgot the corkscrew  and for
several days we had to live on nothing but food and water. W. C  Fields