Re: [Mgs] anemic running B

To: "1971-red-mgb" <1971mgb@cox.net>, "MG LIST" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Mgs] anemic running B
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2007 09:40:40 -0000
You say 'anaemic, do you mean running with a weak mixture as indicated by
the plugs and stumbling on acceleration or just lack of power?  If weak have
you checked for things air leaks round the manifold and poor fuel delivery?
Lack of performance can be caused by any number of things from dragging
brakes to expecting too much from the car if you are used to modern
rice-rockets.  Are you comparing it to another B?  Or was your car running
properly and it has changed to running poorly?  If the latter, what did you
do immediately before this started happening!?

A compression test is easy enough to do, do a wet and a dry, on a hot engine
with  all plugs out and the throttle wedged wide open.  After that it is a
matter of going through all the setting-up adjustments like valve
clearances, plug gaps, points gap/dwell, timing including centrifugal and
vacuum advance curves.  You say timing is 'correct', but correct to what as
the original spec would have been for leaded fuel of higher octane than
today.  These days the best setting is probably the one that is just short
of pinking at any combination of throttle opening, engine speed and load.
Only when all that has been done and any defects corrected should you
finally set the carbs up for correct air-flow and mixture balance from first
principles.

PaulH.