[Mgs] Gas tank vent

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Mgs] Gas tank vent
From: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 10:20:01 -0800
I need some advise.  I have installed SU carbs on my 1980 MGB.  Currently I am
venting the gas tank through the vent line to the canister in the trunk to the
outside atmosphere through the fitting located on the bulk head of the truck
next to the fuel pump(not being vented to inside of truck).  I am not running
any pollution devices including the 2 charcoal canisters mounted by the
windshield washer pump.  I would like to vent it into my intake manifold or
carb because I live in Washington state high desert and we can get dusty
conditions. I am concerned about sucking dirt/dust into my gas tank.  Which
placed  would be better to vent the tank to?  And, what are the pros and cons
of venting it to the manifold or carbs versus venting it to atmosphere?  My
gas cap is a nonventing unit.

Merl Rosenthal  1980 MGB