Re: [Mgs] Gas tank vent

To: "Valda and Merl Rosenthal" <mvrose@charter.net>, "MG List"
Subject: Re: [Mgs] Gas tank vent
From: "Paul Hunt" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:58:05 -0000
If you really are concerned about dust and dirt getting into the tank via an
open pipe in the trunk (how much dirt and dust gets into the trunk anyway?)
then just fit a small K&N filter onto the end of the pipe in the trunk.

Connecting it to the inlet manifold is not a good idea as that can develop
20+ in.Hg. of vacuum which I'm fairly sure would overwhelm the fuel pump, if
not collapse the tank.

Teeing it into the carb PCV ports (that currently should be connected to the
front tappet chest cover) is a possibility as that only develops 2 or 3
in.Hg., but that is still more vacuum than was applied to the tank in the
original configuration.  In the original configuration the 2 or 3 in.Hg.
from the carbs was applied to the charcoal canister via a restrictor, which
reduced it to a much lower level than that.  The canister itself was open to
atmosphere at the bottom, hence there was no depression inside the canister
itself, unless the charcoal filter at the bottom became blocked.  The tank
and float chambers were connected to the canister above this filter.  This
wasn't to filter air going into the tank and float chamber, but to trap
fumes coming *from* the tank and float chamber from expansion and filling.
The continual suction through the filter from the carbs then purged i.e.
cleaned the filter.

The only good reason to remove the canister(s) and associated plumbing is to
remove clutter in the engine bay.  Left alone, even if you remove the air
pump, gulp valve etc. which *does* adversely affect performance, the
canister and its plumbing will continue to reduce fumes getting into the
atmosphere, and the anti-runon valve will still function.

But even if you had a sealed tank and a vented gas cap I can't see much by
way of dust getting into the tank, it will only be as the fuel level drops
while driving (unless parked in reducing temperatures in a dust storm), and
you would need several pounds to get in before it started affecting
anything.

PaulH.